Choose an Amount to Donate:
The Appeal is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and all donations are tax deductible.
All transactions are secure and encrypted. Credit card information is never stored on our servers. Cancel anytime.
From now until Dec. 31, all donations up to $1,000 will be tripled as part of NewsMatch. New monthly recurring donations will be matched at twice their annual value.
The Appeal is a nonprofit news organization that envisions a world in which systems of support and care, not punishment, create public safety.
Your donation supports journalism that:
- Exposes the harms of the U.S. criminal legal system
- Equips people with the information necessary to make change
- Elevates solutions emerging from the communities most affected by policing, jails, and prisons
Our reporting has:
- Spurred federal investigations into abusive and unsafe prison conditions
- Bolstered efforts to change unjust laws and policies
- Sparked grassroots activism
- Influenced how news media covers criminal justice
Support our award-winning team because:
- We are worker-led
- We co-publish with more than a dozen local outlets
- We work with 50-plus freelancers across the U.S., including 14 percent who are presently or formerly incarcerated
Our major donors are stakeholders whose investments create long-term sustainability for The Appeal. They include some of our most incisive thought partners and our most passionate champions.
For check donations, please make payable to “The Appeal” and mail to:
c/o Molly Greene
PO Box 3711
Landers, CA 92285
Note: The Appeal’s EIN is 872194457.
If you have more questions, we’d love to hear from you. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Editorial Independence and Transparency
It’s important for our readers and supporters to know where our funding comes from and how we maintain editorial independence. You can read more about our policies here, and view a list of our donors here.